Friday, July 23, 2010

Picture Walk

Mr. O’M and I were downtown to purchase some camera equipment.  We went to Leo’s on Granville, which in my humble opinion is the best place to shop for all things camera related.

Leo's

It is shocking how helpful they are in that store.  Customer service may be a dying art overall, but it is alive and well at Leo’s.  Also their stock is amazing.  If they don’t have it, I doubt it exists.

Mr. O’M noticed this building across the street and I was completely taken with the windows.  I had only seen windows that opened like this in magazines, never in real life. 

Amazing Windows

We continued on and I was glad that I was looking down –not just up-  because I noticed something I had never seen before.  I have walked Granville many times and never noticed we have our own “walk of stars”.   The first one I noticed (after obliviously passing several others) was Randy Bachman’s.

Randy's Gold Star

I had never heard of the B.C. Entertainment Hall of Fame previous to this.  I also was not familiar with some of the names honoured.  Thus, I looked up the website when we got home and it was informative.

Watching the Watchers

It was fun to watch the people on the tour bus go by busily watching the sights.  I wouldn’t mind taking the tour bus one day to see what features of the city they point out.

The Commodore Building

Out of all the buildings we walked by, I like the facade of the Commodore the best.  The lines are so classic and beautiful.  The more you look the more there is to notice; like the detail under the arch windows.

Street Concert

This artist was giving a street concert in front of the Commodore Ballroom.  He was easy to listen to.  There is something about amateur musicians performing outside that makes it feel like it is “finally truly summer” for me.

Receptionist's Desk

This is one of the most unique receptionist desks I have ever seen. 

Have a Seat

I love the sculptural aspect of these chairs.  They have them all along the street, two at a time facing each other.  They are one unbroken piece of metal, bent with no legs and simply bolted in.  It’s incredibly comfortable to sit in and very sturdy.  If only all city designs were this brilliant and pragmatic!

Gordie

Had no idea that Gord Downie was doing solo work as well as fronting the Tragically Hip.  Turns out the “Country of Miracles” includes Julie Doiron (former Eric’s Trip now Broken Girl) who I adore.  Who knew!

Flourescents Facade

Love this building’s facade.  The colors are amazing.  If our parking hadn’t been running out I would have loved to see what they were selling as there was no signage.  All the neat fluorescents shining through intrigued me.

Clock Tower

I love this clock tower.  Not only because Robson is such an important street but because this clock reminds me so much of the movie “Back to the Future” when Doc has to attach the electrical cord to the clock.  This picture REALLY reminds me of it with the power lines front and centre like that.  I expected to hear him yelling “Marty…you have to hurry!”.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love that reception desk!
    And that picture with the clock tower, has a sign to the right of it that says, "Future!"

    ReplyDelete