Tuesday, June 1, 2010

HotdiggityDAWG!



My friends know me as a pretty easygoing gal. I tend to get a kick out of the smaller pleasures in life and it takes a fair bit to make me really angry. One thing that does provoke me to almost an "instant 10" is when I see dogs sitting in the car on a hot summer day with the window cracked open just a bit.




I admit that I have gone and gotten water for such dogs and even called the SPCA when I haven't been sure if the dogs have been there for hours. I am not sure if some people realize that the temperatures inside there car reach the same temperatures inside an oven.




Occasionally, there will be a news story of a baby or toddler perishing in a car, having been forgotten by a parent. I know that sometimes this has been a truly horrible accident by a very tired parent. Other times the parent has been neglectful and simply 'left the child in the car'. True, I am not a parent, but I also cannot stand it when I see children left unattended in motor vehicles.




Sooooo....I was absolutely delighted when I saw this product. It's designed for people who work with dogs (police dogs, search and rescue dogs etc...) and may have to leave their canine campanions in the car for periods of time. I thought other people who enjoy taking their dogs with them might find it helpful as well. It could certainly lead to a lot less tragic accidents.




It is pictured at the top of this post and is appropriately called the "Hotdog". It has an electronic monitoring system that automatically detects dangerous temperatures. If the car gets too hot, two windows are automatically lowered enough for ventilation and the car horn beeps to alert you. It will also notify a pager.


The cost for the unit is $435 and the details can be found at the Criminalistics website at: http://www.criminalisticsinc.com/products/hotdog/hotdog.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment